Hey everybody! August is peak peach season, and as a former Georgia Peach – this fruit is near and dear to my heart! Growing up I can remember spending summers picking peaches in the backyard and eating them straight from the tree! For me, nothing says summertime more than peaches and today I’m giving this sweet, juicy fruit some love and so should you!
Your local grocery probably has plenty of peaches to choose from throughout the season (May through September), so how’s a girl (or guy) to choose? And are peaches just for cobbler? I’m answering these questions and more so take a seat, relax, have a sip (or two) of your Southern Girl Sangria (watch how below on IGTV) – and let’s get this party started!
How to Pick the Perfect Peach…
1. Give it a sniff! Fresh peaches should smell fragrantly sweet. If the peach you pick doesn’t smell peachy, put it back – that usually means that they will not taste sweet either!
2. Give it a squeeze! A ripe peach should have some give when gently squeezed. A rock-hard peach means that the peach is not ripe – and it needs to ripen up to reach its full flavor. (Store unripe peaches in a brown paper bag to ripen – and when ripe, store at room temperature). Eat ripe peaches sooner than later for the best flavor!
3. Avoid any fruits with blemishes and bruises, and also be sure to check for color. A ripe peach is a dark yellow color and you know what they say, the darker the fruit the sweeter the juice!
4. Check the stem! I was taught to spot a perfect peach by checking the stem. When the skin wrinkles around the stem, it means that the water is beginning to evaporate and the flavor of the fruit intensifies – now that’s a peach that’s ready to be picked!
5. At its best, a peach packed with flavor should taste sweet, be oh so juicy, and just slightly tart!
More than just cobbler!
Now, I love cobbler as much as the next girl but did you know that the peach’s versatile flavor is great in a variety of other dishes too? I love to start the day with peaches blended into my morning smoothie, have a decadent afternoon snack of peaches wrapped in prosciutto, and slice peaches into a nice salad for lunch. For the perfect patio dinner – try my Grilled Turkey Burger Stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese Topped with Grilled Peaches, or for the perfect Lite Bite or twist on dessert, try my Grilled Peaches and Herbs!
What I’m Celebrating!
Today I’m celebrating my Southern roots! See my Stories and Games on IG! Life is a party, so live it like one!
Watch how to make my Southern Girl Sangria on IGTV!